Friday, March 9, 2007

CD's

No I'm not talking about Certificates of Deposit, although what I am talking about is a great investment with huge returns. Cloth Diapers. While I was pregnant with Abigail I decided to research cloth diapers. I googled it, and wow, thousands of results. There are so many different types of dipes out there and I won't go into them all because one could literally write a 100 page thesis on the things. I found what works for me- unbleached Indian cotton prefolds. Prefolds are among the least expensive cloth diapers- I think 2 dozen cost me $40. To fasten the diapers I use a Snappi, which takes about 4 seconds to put on after a bit of practice.
I have a couple diaper covers which are waterproof, but I prefer just the diaper. I would estimate we use cloth about 40% of the time in the winter months and 70% during the warmer months. Because I don't like using the covers (bulky, won't fit under pants) I tend to use the cloth more when it's warm so Abi can run around in just her diaper and a shirt. Even though I don't use cloth 100% of the time I still feel I'm doing some good for the environment and for Abi's bum. Another added bonus is that she's tells me when she goes and I'm fairly sure it's because she can "feel" the wetness as opposed to the chemicals in the disposables that are made to absorb. Let's hope this will speed up the potty training!

2 comments:

sarah lynn said...

interesting...lovin your blogs!!hope you have fun in the dells...btw, i'm at sullitay now..hehe.bye.

Jennifer said...

Yeah for CD's! I have moved towards a mostly cloth experience too (on child number three, no less) - we use G-Diapers with cloth inserts, and except when I run out of them because I haven't done enough laundry, we love them. But those snappi's seem pretty cool...