Saturday, February 24, 2007

Thrifty

A few weeks ago I went to the Sparrow's Nest thrift store and bought 100% wool sweaters and a pair of pillowcases. I recently learned how to felt wool and found it very inspiring...The only thing I've made so far with the sweaters is this sweater purse for my sister Jessica's birthday. First I felted the sweaters in the washer and dryer, then sewed the purse. The handles are made from the sweater also, but Jess said that they stretch if anything fairly heavy (a wallet) is in the purse. Well, that just won't do- I mean it needs to be strong enough to carry a wallet! So next time, I think I would make the handles out of a thrifted tie, or maybe one of Jim's he doesn't wear anymore. I think a tie would hold up better and might make the purse look vintage-y cool, too.
With one of the pillowcases I made this tall bag to store all my plastic grocery bags. Adds some color to the kitchen and it's practical. Actually after seeing how many times I keep adding plastic bags, one of my goals now is to make reusable grocery bags out of burlap, perhaps. There's always some project out there! With the other pillowcase I'm planning to make a summer sun dress for Abi. I read about it in Martha's magazine at least 4 or a 5 years ago.

No comments: